Thursday, September 22, 2011

Depression: the other shoe has dropped

So, using my surfing analogy, the waves have subsided, its  cloudy, all my friends have paddled in, and I'm alone. Very, very alone. Some might say "snap out of it" or "just paddle in to shore."

Therein lies the problem.

For the bipolar mind, there is no shore. There is no land. We know our board, the waves, and sometimes, ourselves. But remember: I've never really liked myself. I'm a lousy surfer, both in metaphor and reality.

And I absolutely hate being alone.

Especially when there are no waves.

Things I need when I'm depressed:

1. Love.  Hugs especially. I'm physical, touch oriented. A hug I dont have to ask for heals me more than any word.

2. Understanding.  Don't try and fix me. It makes it worse. I already feel broken. "Just walk beside me and be my friend."

3. Don't leave me alone. I don't need time to think about it or deal with it. I know how to deal with it. Hence this blog.

So, if you consider me a friend or loved one, hop on your board, and paddle into the storm. In its eye you'll find a lion: mane askew, on his longboard, licking his wounds.

I won't bite

Hope you'll stay awhile.

1 comment:

  1. absolutely love it jim. i also can relate on many levels. hang in there. we'll drift in with the tide soon enough.

    ReplyDelete