Friday, June 1, 2012

"Grimm", Coins, and the Hero Complex

I was watching a rerun of Grimm earlier this week that damn near gave me a flashback to last August.   This episode centered around the mythic coins of Zakynthos.  Whoever possesses these coins gained a charismatic influence over people and experienced delusions of grandeur.  The Captain of the police force acquired them, looked out his window, and saw throngs of people shouting his name, and waving banners.  Whenever the coins are taken away, the person is left pining for them, like a junkie yearning for his next fix.

Now, I've had enough time this year to do some serious introspection and it could be that I saw the original airing of this episode while manic, and it fused into my own delusion.

 I am very impressionable.

But it's pretty well documented that Manics experience the Hero complex: an overwhelming feeling that you Can and Should fix the problems around you, even those on a macro level.  You feel like a Crusader: commissioned by God or a Divine Power to right the wrongs of the world.

I've experienced this twice.  During my first hyper-manic episode in 2009, I tried to fix all the problems in the school I was working at.  I helped fix computers and cleaned out a classroom filled, literally, with junk to get my classes out of the auditorium.  I also tried transforming my small but successful band into a militaristic "Band Corps" that, of course, failed miserably.

One day I even dressed in fatigues to kick off the project.

Yeah.  Yikes.

This past summer the mania took the form of royalty.  I felt that I was the reincarnation of Aslan, but not from Narnia.  I thought that C. S. Lewis wasn't referenced Christ through his character, but me.  The spirit I was channeling was as old as God Almighty Himself: Ancient, and Pissed Off.  The earthquake we experienced on the East Coast had awakened me, an I was angry that Jehovah had left this King without his royal fittings. I began buying jewelry, dressing in suits.  My foot hurt and felt dislodged (a Jacob-esque wound from wrestling with God), so I walked with a cane.

Sidenote: I know this is a bit much, but this was my life during August.

Now, though the manifestation was extreme, some of the root feeling were grounded in reality.  For the first time in my 32 years, I allowed myself to be angry with God.  My life has been very hard since moving to Baltimore.  I've lost my Dad, a career, a marriage, 2 cars, and several friends I love quit talking to me.  From my perspective, I had followed God faithfully, and was being punished for no good reason.

Passive/Depressed Jim made a life of absorbing his own hurt and that of those around him. He assumed  he was ALWAYS the problem in a situation, and bore the burdens of others, even to his own detriment.  I wasn't a servant of God.  I was a Slave.

But then, when life fell apart, a new strength rose within me.  The Lion was loosed.  I roared for the first time.  My words had weight to them.  I walked tall.  I was no longer a victim of circumstance.

Aslan roared to the defense of Passive Jim.

I became Master of my Domain.

And it was intoxicating.

But then the ride was over.  My coins were taken from me.  And much like the those who held the Coins of Zakynthos, I was mortal again, left weak and wanting.  Like those who held the Ring in Tolkien's books, I only wished to hold it once more.  Because in both stories, the charms are cursed.  The Coins contain arsenic.  The ring was. well, you know...

And mania has left me broken and hospitalized twice.

So, how does one walk the path of everyday life, when you've raised your arms on the mountaintop and crawled out of the pits in the valley?

Perspective.

I remember the bad parts of mania, and how a ride up the hill MUST come down below, equal and opposite.  You cannot have one without the other.

The Bible says "be angry and sin not."  I'm still working on this one.  While I don't look it, I am a very angry person, similar to Adam Sandler's character in "Anger Management."  I'm still looking for the healthy ways to let angry out without being explosive, but more so without turning it inward.

I kept tokens of strength.  You only have to add an S to my middle to get Aslan.  And, yes, I can take this whole Lion metaphor a bit far sometimes, but it's a reminder that, Yes, there is strength within me, even if I can't feel it.  That I can walk tall, because there is Honor and Nobility within me.  I can carry myself with a bit of swagger, because I have weight to my personal deeds.


I can Roar, but I don't need to.



~Thanks for reading~





No comments:

Post a Comment